Introduced with NexStar hand control version 4 (first included with the
CPC) and available in all newer versions, Precise GoTo provides
pinpoint accuracy to place an object right in the center of the field of
view. This is most useful when imaging objects that are visually
undetectable and so you must rely on the scope to place the target right in
the center of your camera.
- Press the Menu button then use the UP/DOWN buttons (6/9
on the number pad) to scroll to Precise Goto and press
ENTER. Generally it is quickest to scroll UP.
- Use the UP/DOWN buttons to select whether the object you are
interested in is in the hand control's database (catalogs) or if you will
need to enter the RA and Dec of the object. Press ENTER to
- If you selected RA/Dec, simply enter the coordinates. If you
selected database, use the UP/DOWN buttons to scroll to the correct
catalog and press ENTER. Use the catalogs as you do for a
- After selecting your target object and pressing ENTER, the hand
control will present a list of stars near your target. Select any of
these stars and press ENTER. You are presented with a list of
possible stars since one of them might be obscured by a tree, etc.
- After pressing ENTER, the scope will automatically slew to the
star you selected. Center the star in the eyepiece using the same
arrow keys as used when you initially align the scope. Press
ENTER and the scope will now slew to your actual target object,
placing it precisely in the center of the field of view.